Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Stranded for the Summer


We love to take trips in the summer time, especially to visit family. But this year as family members called to invite us for a visit, we knew that with McKinley's surgery happening (and the bills resulting from it) as well as gas prices as they were in June, we'd probably need to stay home. I had no idea that my idea of being "stranded" was about to become much more literal at the beginning of July.

Tim went out the door for work one morning and found that his old Toyota pickup truck was gone. Like, stolen, no trace of the thing, gone. And after about a week and no signs of its return, I resigned myself to the fact that I would be without a car for a while. You see, in a two-car family in which the husband works and the wife stays home with the children, circumstances that lead to having only one car don't make all that much difference to the man. He's still got to get to work, so he takes the car. But for the wife, going down to one car is like a prison sentence.

I'm the one who is punished when a vehicle breaks down or is stolen. If I play my cards right and Tim's schedule works out, I may get one or possibly two days a week that I get the car after dropping him off at work. Those days I run around town like mad, trying to get all of my errands run and stock up the house with food. And if you are out and about in the evenings, you may see me on any of a series of late night Target runs where I've just got to get out and have some time by myself.

This was not a good time to lose Tim's truck. We've been looking for a replacement vehicle, but haven't secured anything yet. It has been hard to find a reliable vehicle in our low price range. So, subsequently, I have been a grouch for the past month. I haven't worked on any projects, blogged, or felt like being creative at all. I just feel trapped and I'm mad! I've read two novels in the past few weeks and only just now been hit with the parallels there. One is The Grapes of Wrath and the other is Room, a story about a woman and her child who are kidnapped and live in one room for seven years. Isn't that funny?

So, here is my sad log of the activities we have done this summer. And sorry about the negativity! This is why I haven't blogged about it! It's depressing!

Owen and Henry took swimming lessons at the high school for a few weeks!
   We went to a Fresno Grizzlies game for Tim's work picnic. Owen got a spider painted on his hand and Henry got his face painted like a dog. It was the cutest thing ever!
 
We did a million, zillion kids crafts. Seriously. After this summer I've got the recipe for homemade playdough completely memorized!

We did, actually, make it down to Newport Beach for one day. It was the best day ever!

 The kids played outside in the backyard a lot!

McKinley and I wore matching dresses and shoes to church one week! I love matching.
Oh man, Henry is going to be SO handsome when he gets older. Can't you see this boy at 17? What a babe!

Okay, so that's pretty much ALL we have done. We did go to Hesperia to see my sisters Merilee and Mindy and check out my mom's sewing camp she did for all of the (old enough) granddaughters. And just last week, we got a call from the CHP that Tim's truck had been found in an orchard about 1/2 hour away from here! We have it back, but it is thrashed and not driveable. I will try and post some pictures of the funny things done by the jerk who stole it soon!

2 comments:

Heather Williams said...

Man, that sucks about your car being stolen! Why do people do things like that? You're a champ for tuffing it out at home. Hope you find something better and quick.
BTW you're kids are super cute! Loved the face paint. Very handsome.

Kristi said...

I'm really sorry about your summer. I would have been negative too, but let me just say, that I love matching my daughter, and you look totally hot too!! I love your outfit and shoes. That should help a little, right?! Your kids are totally adorable too, and yes, he's going to be a lady killer!